It Came From ReverbNation #11: featuring Attacca, The Stacy Jones Band, Cameron Toy, Chuck Hughes Band, Stone Circle, and Jerry Juden




From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Attacca – Call me crazy, but I found the song submitted by this quartet from Blue Springs, MO to be very refreshing.  They label themselves as a rock/progressive rock band, but what I was listening to sounded like an evolved grunge band who decided to make things a bit funkier with more emphasis on the bass.  I could also hear a definite 1970s groove creep into the mix.  Earnest vocals too.  Take a listen!

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/attacca
Song Sample – “Pretty”



The Stacy Jones Band – Once again I made the mistake of assuming what the music would sound like based off of the band’s photo.  Dumb, dumb, dumb!  This quartet from Seattle, WA belts out some electrified blues rock like nobody’s business.  Stacy Jones’ voice is extraordinary and she can play a mean harmonica too!  If you miss vocalists like Janis Joplin then stop what you’re doing right now and follow the link.

Song Sample – “Heavy Water”  

 

Cameron Toy – Straight out of Los Angeles, CA comes this alternative/indie rock musician who’s looking to satisfy any fan of bands like Interpol and Death Cab For Cutie.  Yes, I know those bands sound very different from one another, but I believe this guy’s music can bridge the gap.  A second song I listened to had a groovy garage rock thing going on as well.  Check him out.

Song Sample – “Little Ghosts”  

 

Chuck Hughes Band – Oh yeah baby!  Anyone looking to swing the night away to that classic rockabilly sound need look no further than this trio from Denver, CO.  You know what I’m talking about waveriders.  Super clean guitar sound, slap happy upright bass, and hi hat heavy drumming.  It’s all here.  Similar artists include Reverend Horton Heat and Brian Setzer.

Song Sample – “Leavin’ Colorado”  

 

Stone Circle – What is it about bands from Australia?  This quartet from Perth, Western Australia barrels out of the chute with a superb modern alternative rock sound.  I’d go so far as to say that their overall sound is very radio friendly, but I’m not sure I can convince myself something this groovy would get airtime.  Their similar artists list is disparate to say the least; Van Halen, Rush, Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, and Foo Fighters.  You’re telling me you’re not interested in finding out what this band is all about?

Song Sample – Live in Bogota, Colombia 


Jerry Juden – Wait, I’m confused.  This man’s music is labeled Americana first and foremost, and power pop second.  I suppose I can get behind the power pop angle, but Americana?  I don’t know about that.  His song submission is pretty funky for a pop song, and the vocals are Beatles-esque to my ears.  I suppose it really doesn’t matter what this California artist calls his music.  I’ll just call it good.  If you’re looking for something cheerful and pleasant, X marks the spot.

Song Sample – “Hello, Hello”  


--Penfold

Comments