It Came From ReverbNation #7



From April 4th to June 4th The Ripple Effect ran a campaign on the excellent online music website ReverbNation (www.reverbnation.com).  This campaign allowed any artist or band registered with ReverbNation to submit their music to The Ripple Effect for possible review on the site and airplay on The Ripple Effect radio shows.  When all was said and done we had received 4,799 submissions!  Incredible!  The purpose of this column is to highlight those artists and bands whose musical submissions I accepted as being worthy of consideration.  While these are not reviews per se, I’m going to provide a brief rundown of what to expect from each artist/band, a sample when available, and a link to check out more on their corresponding ReverbNation page.

Gideon’s Daughter – I’m not sure what I would call this trio from Wenatchee, WA.  Alt folk?  Foot stompin’ Americana?  I think I’ll settle for downright groovy!  Their bio states that the band was heavily influenced by The Civil Wars and Mumford And Sons.  While I can neither confirm nor deny that statement, I can definitely state for the record that this song is awesome.

Song Sample – “Ain’t Got Nuthin’”

 
Children Of Nova – From San Diego, CA comes this five piece rock band that I find very interesting.  Very interesting indeed.  Their song submission mostly reminds me of Muse, but at times I hear a splash of The Mars Volta thrown in for good measure.  If that combination sounds at all good to you, I suggest following the link below.  It will be worth your while.

Song Sample – “Moments Of Clarity” 

 

This City Awaits – This trio from Fort Worth, TX is out to rock your world.  The song they submitted to the Ripple campaign has a strong modern rock sound.  The music and vocals sound pretty darn powerful in combination.  They compare themselves with Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, and Anberlin.  If you’re into those bands check out This City Awaits.

Song Sample – “The Addiction” 

 

Matt Stanley And The Decoys – Oh yeah!  This is some serious 70s inspired throwback groove oriented rock and roll out of Kamloops, British Columbia!  The bass and drums seem to be in lockstep laying down a solid foundation that the guitars playfully riff over.  Inspired by Led Zeppelin (clearly), The Rolling Stones, and Tom Petty.  Take a listen waveriders.

Song Sample – “I Know” 

 

Frankie Beagle – Let’s see.  The bio page of this Johannesburg, GP artist states that she makes ‘Folk-Soul’ music.  I suppose I can get on board with that description.  Her voice reminds me of Norah Jones.  It sounds pure and natural, which I find very appealing.  In fact I’d go so far as to say that her singing sounds downright regal on her song submission.  Similar artists include Regina Spektor, Feist, and Fiona Apple.

Song Sample – “Save Yourself” 

 

Revel 9 – In my humble opinion this is some pure, unadulterated rock and roll!  The band’s sound has an undeniable edge to it thanks to some seriously biting guitar tones and solid drumming.  I realize there are not many people who will understand this comment, but this music totally reminds me of a band named Loudmouth.  Their bio suggests that they sound like Shinedown, Three Days Grace, and the Foo Fighters.  I don’t really agree with that assessment, but I do strongly suggest you listen to this band’s music.  Click the link and rock out people!

ReverbNation Page – http://www.reverbnation.com/revel9
Song Sample – “San Jose” 


--Penfold

Comments